View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Bow barrette/band question... feedback please!

Hi everyone! I recently made some fabric bows for Sammy and I thought I would make more and see if there is any interest here for them. They are entirely sewn (by machine and by hand - they are quite a labor of love!) I have about 20 finished and will post them today or tomorrow in the for sale thread. My question is about band/barrette backs. The options I have are the flat alligator clips, the ones with the teeth and snap clips. I can also attach covered elastic bands.

The alligator clips would have to be hot glued on... I'm not sure I want to ruin a hand sewn bow with a glob of hot glue, but that seems to be how all of the bows are, so is that OK? The snap clips have holes to sew them on, but I need to test those on Sam and see how they hold. I have had too many french clips rip out half of Sam's topknot hair so I no longer use them, but if others do then I could get some.

Covered elastics are great because they won't rip out hair like barrettes would. They might get stretched out though. I use the same elastics over and over on Sammy, but if it does get stretched out then you would be stuck having to take it off - but if it's sewn you could easily attach a new one or glue a barrette on the back to save the bow. I do feel like this is the safest option though. I feel like these bows would outlast the band. I don't think that latex bands would be substantial enough for these bows, plus they also tend to rip out precious topknot hair. (Maybe Sam is the only one ripping out her ponytail 2-3 times a day? We use covered elastics on her...)

In order pictured:
French Clip
Alligator with teeth
Alligator Clip
Snap Clip
Covered Elastic

I would like to come up with the *best* option or 2 to attach (it's easiest to do all at once) and then maybe I could offer a special order if someone needs a different kind. This is what I'm trying to figure out.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clips.jpg (20.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg bow.jpg (17.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg sambow1.jpg (11.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg sambow2.jpg (94.5 KB, 32 views)
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!