View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
starstella92
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Let her be. But, I would confine her to an area where you can watch her. You should get your pregnant female used to staying a confined aea as her whelping time approaches and when you cannot watch her activities regularly. Otherwise, she may make her nest where you cannot find it or have her puppies all over the place so that they can become chilled and die. Do get her used to the area that you set up for her to have puppies and nurse them, a whelping box that is low enough for her to get in and out of easily but not so low the pups can roll out and chill. Choose an area that is draft free and away from heavy people traffic. Tape heavy towling or sheepskin to the bottom of the box with duct tape rolled so it is sticky on both sides. If you don't, the mother may paw up the pads and accidently smother or jump on a pup and injure it.
We have had her whelping box in the closet this past week- two weeks. We chose the closet because it's not an area that was foreign to her at all, quiet and away from everything, and there aren't any vents or windows nearby to cause any drafts. She is used to spending time there with her box, as we've introduced it to her early on. Right now I can actually hear her panting and digging. I don't want her to deliver the pups outside the box and she doesn't seem to want to go in there. Should I just let her whelp where she wants? I'm nervous now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA220095lo.jpg (166.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by starstella92; 11-08-2009 at 08:19 AM.
starstella92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!