View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstella92 View Post
Yikes. Okay, will do; makes me wonder if maybe my thermometer was acting up. ??? Right now she's taken a little stuffed toy of hers and is hiding out next to her whelping box in the closet now (not in it). She's seems to be pretty protective of it likes it's one of her babies, it's really strange. I'm guessing her maternal instinct is just kicking in before delivery? Should I take it away? Let her be? Is she about to whelp?
Let her be. But, I would confine her to an area where you can watch her. You should get your pregnant female used to staying a confined aea as her whelping time approaches and when you cannot watch her activities regularly. Otherwise, she may make her nest where you cannot find it or have her puppies all over the place so that they can become chilled and die. Do get her used to the area that you set up for her to have puppies and nurse them, a whelping box that is low enough for her to get in and out of easily but not so low the pups can roll out and chill. Choose an area that is draft free and away from heavy people traffic. Tape heavy towling or sheepskin to the bottom of the box with duct tape rolled so it is sticky on both sides. If you don't, the mother may paw up the pads and accidently smother or jump on a pup and injure it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!