View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower003 View Post
Thank you for all your advice.

This morning we rushed my little on to the Emergency vet. She had eclapsia. the vet said we caught it early so she should be fine. I feel like I was a bad mommy. Maybe I couldn't done more to prevent this. We are going to bottle feed the four little ones now on... If you have any advice on bottle feeding please let me know.
I use a preemie nipple attached to a syringe.....Pushing a bit of milk into the nipple allowing the to suck.....less chance of aspiration. Start out with 1 cc every 1 and increase to 2 cc as they gain strength. Increase as they request more.....the first 3 weeks are the toughest.....but, eventually the times between feedings will lengthen..
By week 3 1/2 they'll be able to lap on their own. Make sure you burp.....Don't attempt to give them more than they'll take....they'll drop off the nipple when they've had enough
I use Canned Goats Milk with equal parts of distilled water at room temperature. Goats Milk is the closests to Mother's Milk. You can put a onsie on her so that she can do the normal mommie duties, like diapering....but, since she won't be in there full time with them, you have to help her out....and do some diapering yourself.

Did your vet give you something to help her milk dry up? You'll need to watch her too, so that her breasts won't explode....not a fun thing.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!