View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

I agree w/ LadyJane.

I really hope this is not Cushing's but loss of trunk hair is a big sign of that. However, hypothyroid, which is so easy to treat, can cause hair loss as well - so it could easily just be that.

I would get tested for both of these asap - thyroid test would be a blood draw.

Cushing's is more complicated. The first step is a screening test to just try to rule it out. It is the Cortisol-Creatine Ratio Urine test -- the urine must be caught at home when the dog isn't stressed (if urine caught at vet's - false cortisol reading). Then, they test it, if cortisol is low - the dog doesn't have Cushing's. If test is positive, it means the dog must proceed to more testing to determine if Cushing's is present (much more complicated testing). Btw, I caught Wylie's urine at home bc he peed on the tile floor, and I sucked it up into a clean syringe.

Is she having other symptoms liked increased thirst or appetite, increased peeing, weight gain, body changes....anything? If there is also thirst/peeing - another one to rule out would be diabetes.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!