View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
starstella92
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
Breeders please comment on what setting you should have for the heating pad. I know a breeder that killed the puppies because she had it set at high.
Oh yes, be sure to keep your heating pad on the low or sometimes medium setting (depending on how warm your heating pad gets), you might not even want to cover the whole bottom of this (temporary) box with the pad either, to allow them to move away from the heat if they get too warm. But honestly, you won't have them in this little box for very long, so I don't think you have to really worry about that. But do be sure that your heating pad is not directly under the pups. Either have a towel in between the pad and puppies, or have the pad under the actual box itself. Now if you're planning on using a heating pad for the whelping box, it IS very important to only use it on half of the box (like I mentioned earlier). You were planning on using an additional heat source for the pups? Had you decided on a heating pad or heat lamp? My vet recommends heating pads, as heat lamps seem to cause more problems (getting too warm when placed to close to pups, sometimes the bulb may explode, or the lamp can get dislodged and fall into the actual whelping box). Just thought I'd mention that too. But everyone has their own opinions and experiences, just thought I'd share mine. Be sure to ask lots of questions if you have them. We all love to help! Though I'm in no way experienced like a lot on this forum, I am pretty knowlegeable and help you in any way I can. Good luck, and keep the questions coming.

Last edited by starstella92; 11-06-2009 at 07:49 AM.
starstella92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!