View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstella92 View Post
Yes, I was going to say the same thing in regards to having the box and heating pad for the little ones while mom is giving birth. But be sure to let the puppies suckle as soon as they can, after the cord has been cut, etc. By letting the puppy suckle, this will actually help stimulate the contractions and get the next puppy moving on out. And yes, when you know the next puppy is on it's way out, remove the previous pup(s) and place in a warm box until she has delivered the next pup.
And as far as taking the puppies in with the mom in case of a c-section. Yes, definitely take them! That way you can get them checked out since you'll be there already. Good luck! I'm in the same boat as you, we should have puppies this weekend. It's exciting!!!
I hve one mom that will not let me take the pups out, she will keep taking them back and if I remove the box with the babies she has a fit. So for that one I just have to keep moving the puppies out of her way. I have a heating pad under one end of the whelping bed, so they are right there with her.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!