View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Lolli_lah
YT Addict

Default Positive yet effective 'no barking' help

We've had Lolli for about a week now, and we have been trying to work with her on 'quiet' for when she barks (particularly AT people). We have a screened back porch where we have a little dog/cat door built in from the back door (it was here from the previous tenant, but we kept it so our cats could sit outside).

We live in a boating community so the back area gets a lot of people walking about throughout the day. Lolli tends to go out the doggy door and bark and growl at them. She does this when I walk her for potty, too, but if anyone actually stops to pet her (or just when she's close to them for that matter) she stops barking and growling immediately. She does the same thing if someone comes to/in the front door. When she reaches the person she stops growling and barking.

I can't really seem to figure out whether she's being aggressive or territorial to know how to go about fixing this problem. I don't even know what would be the best way or method to go about this, either. Some people say shake a bunch of coins in a jar or use some sort of whistle. I checked out a few books from the library that talk about the differences in aggressive and territorial barking, but so far haven't much input on correcting the problem.

Well, I have been using a whistle that makes a sort of honking noise (similar to those party favors, only it's a lot louder). She will quit barking and turn around for a few seconds but then go right back to it. It's very loud and I don't think using this outside when walking her would be appropriate. Saying 'no' sternly doesn't seem to have much effect, either. At least not yet?

I could really use some help, it's actually a little embarassing when I am walking such a gorgeous little girl and someone walking by is being growled and barked at and shes standing up on 2 feet from pulling on the leash. She is VERY good on the leash, except when she is barking at someone like that. I don't mind the growling so much as it's not as startling to other people when they are walking passed our back porch or walking passed us when I'm out walking her.

It's just really strange because she loves people and loves attention. But for some reason until she's up close and personal she growls and barks. She's never ones bitten or even snapped at anyone.

Last edited by Lolli_lah; 11-04-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Lolli_lah is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!