View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini19 View Post
im sooo jealous!!! im having the hardest time teaching mine 'sit'..its like sometimes she gets completely and i think we're good..and then its like she doesn't know it again...she keeps going back and forth...how often do you guys train yours? and for how long at a time?
A good site is: Dog Tricks! Shake, Crawl, Beg, Kiss, Roll Over, Bow, and more!

I really don't work with him that long. It took him about 5 minutes to learn the
basis of "crawl" and then we work for another 5 minutes on "perfecting" it and
generally speaking, he can pick up a new trick within 5-20 minutes. We do some
tricks usually every night for about 10-15 minutes before bedtime just to make sure
he doesn't forget the old or the new. It tires him out too mentally! It's funny -
sometimes while teaching a new trick, he will do EVERY trick that he already
knows just to get that treat in my hand, LOL. Then it's like it finally clicks and he goes
"Ohhh that's what she wants me to do!" Once he does it once or twice, he catches on really quick.

Bang bang was probably the hardest, longest to teach. It took me about two weeks of
practicing it every night for minimum of 5 minutes, sometimes more. In order to teach him,
I would do the "bang bang" sound and a gun hand motion and then knock him over softly.
Well, he began to learn that when I said "bang bang" I would knock him over, so he'd jump
away from me! LOL. I thought he'd never learn that trick but with patience and time, one
day he just caught on!

Basically, I think it's all about patience and making it fun for the dog! If you or the
dog is getting too frustrated or stressed out, just stop and end the session on a good note.
Work with her in small time frames, like start off just doing it for 3 minutes or so and then just
end it while you're ahead!

Last edited by Britster; 11-03-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!