View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunniOne View Post
Thanks! So, having the run of the entire kitchen is too much space? That might explain some of the accidents. I have also noticed that if I confine him to the kitchen and he starts barking, when I come back, there will be a puddle. Is this because he is frightened? Can I do anything about this?
I don't know if it's too much space, we had a large x-pen for Joey, and at first we used several pee pads, and the floor was mostly covered, we just eliminated some of the pee pads, and he really learned fairly fast. They pee a lot when there are young, so it's hard to say if he was frightened or just had to go, they will not go far to seek out a pad. I think washable pads work the best. Yorkies don't like to be left alone, so the barking is them telling you, that they want you. It's important to only let him out, after he's quiet, never reward the barking, but that's easier said then done. Joey's breeder told us to ignore the mistakes and praise the success, and I believe that works the best with no long term unwanted symptoms, such as submissive peeing or poop eating.

Join today and remove this ad!