View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I like the idea of confining him to the kitchen, you could keep his crate in the kitchen, with the door open, and have pee pad, and food outside the crate, or if crate doesn't fit, just another type of bed, but the idea is that the crate is a safe haven, not a punishment. I think it's easier to housebreak if you crate overnight, and place the puppy on the spot you want them to go in the morning. A young puppy might need to get up during the night once though, and the crate can't be too big or they will pee on one end and sleep on the other. They can hold it 1 hour for every month of age, and a little longer at night. I like "Pennies in a can" to reduce barking, and you must be consistent, and never show anger at barking as this agitates the dog more. I used a Christmas tin filled half way with coins and it made a louder noise than the aluminum cans. Say no and shake the can, repeat every time they bark. Never let them have the last bark. The coins in a can is good because they don't associate the noise aversion with you, like they would a water spray bottle. So barking is reduced even when you are not there. There are also various devices you can buy, they make an aversive sound only a dog can hear and are said to stop the barking, and are "bark" activated to go off when they hear a bark; I'm not sure how well they work, they seem to have mixed reviews.

I should add it's very difficult to litter box train dogs, many don't like to use the box, a pad is much easier. Also there are sprays that eliminate chewing on things, bitter apple spray works very well, and some people suggest clear deodorant.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 11-02-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!