View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
stedmansmommy
I Love My Lil' Punkin's
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Great advice. I also agree w/ EllieMay/Crystal.

Brooke, I'm so sorry Tate is hurting . Marcel goes down on his front legs whenever his tummy hurts. So since Tate had poo issues and she vomited - it makes me think she 1) might be in knee pain (like you already said) and 2) might be in tummy pain too -- so she may be going down on her knees for a few different reasons.

Maybe she needs both a different pain med and something to help her tummy deal w/ the pain med (sucralfate?). Could your Ortho and/or just call something in to your Pharmacy w/out seeing her, until Monday? Or a close compounding Pharmacy?

Please keep us posted...and know that she will be in my thoughts, and Marcel and Wylie's as well - they send their kisses!
Thank you so much Ann...I guess it could be possible that her tummy is bothering her...but I just wonder why? It's just that she has been on this same specific pain medication for so long now (for almost a year) and it has never caused her tummy to be upset...she's never thrown up after taking it. Also, I gave it to her Friday and Saturday as well, and she didn't throw up after taking it....but she kept going down on her front legs...which is why I think that it was her knees that were bothering her and still is. Because usually this pain medication (Metacam) will work literally within 30 mins-1 hour for her when her knees are bothering her, but this time it just doesn't seem to be helping.

I just don't know and I am so confused

I did some research online one day...I spent just about all day doing it and I am seriously thinking of starting her on this: Products

Here is some more info on it:

"Dear Dr. Shawn:
”I’ve tried using glucosamine and chondroitin for my older Labrador Sam. However, his arthritis is getting worse and the supplements don’t seem to be helping. Since I don’t want to give him medications, do you have any other suggestions?”

Answer:
”While glucosamine and chondroitin work in most arthritic pets, some pets don’t respond as well as others. Hyaluronan is another natural joint supplement that is often used to help pets with arthritis. It is so effective that I often use it when other joint supplements fail to work. The proposed mechanisms of action of hyaluronan are to reduce swelling at the site of injury by decreasing white blood cell migration and infiltration into the affected tissue. Secondly, hyaluronan inhibits the inflammation pathway, resulting in decreased pain. The 2 commercially available hyaluronan products are very helpful in treating many pets with arthritis. Cholodin Flex (a chewable treat for dogs and cats which also contains choline to decrease the chances of the pet developing cognitive disorder) and Chologel (a potent gel form that should only be given to dogs,) have been shown as effective as NSAID medications without the side effects often seen with this class of drugs.
I would suggest you talk with Sam’s doctor about trying either of these supplements, possibly with homeopathic (using the remedy Zeel) or herbal (Flex SC, Nutriflex) support.”

Also, this is an e-mail that I sent directly to the CholoGel company:

Hello,

Can you tell me if Chologel has Glucosamine or Chondroitin in it? The reason I ask is because I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Yorkie girl who just went through major knee surgery and has already developed Osteoarthritis in both knees. So, she needs Glucosamine and Chondroitin for the future, to help make sure that her Osteoarthritis doesn't get even worse as she is still so young, however, I would also like to use the Chologel to help with pain when she has it, and to help with the stiffness as well.

She is currently taking Cosequin which has Glucosamine and Chondroitin in it...but I didn't know if Chologel has Chondroitin and Chondroitin in it as well? If it doesn't, do you think it would be ok to give both the Cosequin AND the Chologel, daily?

Thank you so very much for your help and time,

~Brooke

This was there reply back to me:

Hello Brooke,

CholoGel has HA which is the precursor to Glucosamine in the body. HA must bond to a special 'receptor' called the CD44 in order to get into the bloodstream. There are CD44 receptors in most parts of the body including the mouth, throat, esophagus, almost every cell EXCEPT in the stomach and intestines. A pill bypasses every location where it could be effective and ends where it can't work at all. Additionally, any HA that is released in the stomach is broken down by the acid into such small pieces that they are not effective.

The oral gel held in the mouth for at least 10 seconds lets the HA move through the mucous membranes of the mouth and directly into the bloodstream where it can help support joints and, eventually via metabolism, break down into a very powerful form of Glucosamine, about 500 times more bioavailable than Glucosamine pills can offer.

If you use the CholoGel, you do not have to use the Cosequin, but if you use both of them on a daily basis it does not harm. CholoGel is natural to your dog's body so there can be no interference with other supplements.

For information on how well it works, check with the folks at www.fluffybutts.com since they have a lot of experience with Yorkies.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

hht

They have us wrapped around their little paws!
stedmansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!