View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
OnegusMom
Yorkie Talker

Default Commands training

Onegus is the most fun animal we have ever had, but I guess I don't need to say that to other Yorkie Lovers, do I?
When I work with Onegus I get right down on the floor, sitting in front of him. ( Like I said, we must look like giants to them, lol) Regular doggie treats just don't work for training him. He sees them as just another source of food, I guess. The peas are "special" and in order to get one or two he has to pay attention to me, look at me and do as I ask, or no peas. I don't push him. If he doesn't do something in 5 or 6 tries, I close up the baggie of peas, get up and start to walk away. Lots of times, I will look down and he is doing exactly what I asked him to do because he knows the peas are leaving. Stubborn little devil. When he does that I just give tons of happy praise, get back down on the floor and give him a pea and try a few more times. I know it sounds silly, but it works, and believe me, peas are lots cheaper, better for the furballs and if all else fails, you have peas for supper. I even went so far as to make home made doggie cookies and he loves them, goes goofy when he sees the cookie jar, but will not follow commands for them. I just take a few peas out of the freezer at a time and put them in a snack baggie in the fridge to use for training. If we need more, he will take them frozen, no difference to him. A pea is a pea. I don't know if it's her age, or just the fact that no one ever expected anything from her except love and cutsies. You just have to find an aid that triggers the "pleaser" response in her. Dried banana chips, carrot slivers, little bites of raw broccoli etc. might work. STAY AWAY from raisins, onions chocolate.....they will make her terribly sick if not kill her. Try making a game out of it, like you are playing with her, not expecting anything from her. Sit is usually the first command we teach, but maybe even hiding a treat under a wash cloth or something and cheering when she finds it will gear her up. A start is a start, even if it's out of order, lol. 2 isn't really very old. Onegus will be 2 in Dec and we learn new things every day.
Good luck and let me know how she does.
OnegusMom
OnegusMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!