Thread: Tummy issues
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
BentleyB
Yorkie Talker

Question Tummy issues

Hello all. I am posting in hopes for a little bit of advise, but am assuming that I should just call the vet at this point and no longer let Bentley's body try to heal itself. Here is the issue:

Bentley started to have soft stools on Monday, not too bad, and just a few were soft and the other two were as they should be. Tuesday/Wednesday was the same thing. Thursday was half soft bm and some (a tiny bit) of liquid. Friday (today) he has had a normal bm and two mucus-y stools.

I understand that dogs are different than humans, but I am in medical school and have learned that 95% of all patients (human or not) if given the chance to ride something out, will do so.

I started giving him a tsp. of pure pumpkin on Monday, once a day -- when this didn't slow down I tried twice a day on Tues/Wed and started adding pedialyte to help ensure he does not dehydrate. Thursday I stopped with pumpkin and gave him a tsp of plain yoguart and 2 tlsp of plain white rice -- that actually seemed to help yesterday because he did have a normal stool later that evening.

I have also been giving him is normal food (which is natural balance - small bites). He's drink plenty of water and pedialyte, he is 100% active/normal energy, nose is cool and wet and the skin on his back (when checked often) is at of right consistency for being well hydrated. He is not vomiting or having any other issue.

We do walk him, twice daily, and with him being a puppy he sometimes gets a hold of things and I do take them out (as quickly as possible), but nothing has been "bad" it's mostly been paper that I take out right away. The ONLY thing that I have changed is that I started giving him Greenies -- he got a petite Greenie, once daily. I stopped giving these on Thursday thinking this may be the cause.

I am sort of at a loss - I don't want to have to go to the vet is they will tell me what I already know (the drive is quite far) and he has no other issues, but I am still a worried "mom" and want to ensure he is healthy at all times.

Any information, suggestions would be appreciate by both Bentley and myself.
BentleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!