View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
OnegusMom
Yorkie Talker

Default Command training

I don't know if this will help or not, but I started Onegus at 11 wks, using frozen peas as a training aid because we couldn't find any small enough treats. Only took 2 peas for him to understand that if he sat he got one. (BTW, he will be 2 in Dec and still automatically sits everytime we go near the freezer, lol). Down was just a natural progression from sit because we had to do something since he was already sitting. Now we are working on "please" which is a modified down with his butt up. He won't do it for a regular treat, but works everytime with peas. He also is beginning to get up on his hind feet for the peas. He got "come" fairly easily. Stay is inconsistant. He is always watching everything going on around him so keeping his attention is my focus right now. We are using a clicker to get it. He comes running for the clicker and will look at me when he hears it, no matter what else is going on around him or where he is in the house. Even outside with squirls, birds and leaves blowing by him. It might be worth trying. They aren't expensive and work better then a noisy can shaken at them. We live in the county on 3 acres so there are too many distractions and dangers to attempt walking him dragging his leash, but I use the clicker when he gets too far from me or pulls and it brings him back where he should be. As for the stairs.....we have never had a problem with him going up from the first time he was told "up" at the bottom of the steps. However, he will not even attempt going down. Kind of a mixed blessing. He has to be carried from one level of the house to the other going down, but if someone accidently lets him out the door onto the porch, we don't have to worry about him running off either. He has on occassion "accidently" jumped up onto the couch or our laps but I don't think he KNOWS he can do it. He does jump down off the couch or laps though. I think I will wait until he figures it out on his own, or is more consistant with his attention outside before we work on going down steps.
I will say, once he gets the idea of something, he doesn't loose it and the transition from peas to praise is fast and easy. He is a real people pleaser and gets almost as happy about the good boys as the peas.
The funniest thing he does is get our attention, then turn around and back his butt toward us if he wants to be picked up. The only thing we can figure is that since he is so small, it is less "scary" for him not to have to see the "giants" reach for him.
OnegusMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!