View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
mkbartz
YT 500 Club Member

Default Canadian Dog Wintering in FLORIDA

Hi,
My in-laws winter in Fort Meyers Beach, FL (they normally live near London, Ontario, Canada). Their Shi Tzu died last year and we just helped them find the most wonder Yorkie—2 year old Lina. This is their first time in Florida. Apparently Lina has had diarreah for two days. She is UTD on shots and worm meds but apparently she developed diarrhea yesterday. I am a little bit worried because it is so hot in Florida right now, and Lina may still be adjusting to the change in temperature. Luckily she is 6 lbs—so she isn’t a really small Yorkie. They are good dog owners and have no problem taking the dog to the vet, but I sent my Mother In Law this email today. Please let me know if I forgot anything.
“I heard that Lina wasn’t feeling well. How long has she had diarrhea for ? You want to make sure that her gums are pink. If they get pale or grey make sure she sees a vet right away. I would buy some canned pumpkin (make sure it is pure canned pumpkin and NOT pumpkin pie filling--that has nutmeg in it and can cause seizures) and Pedialyte (Gatorade for babies). I would get the clear flavour. See if you can give her a tablespoon of the pumpkin at a time. You may want to take her off dog food and just give her pedialyte ,water and pumpkin for a day. The next day try giving her some boiled WHITE rice and a little bit of Boiled chicken (white meat). You can do that with canned pumpkin for a few days. “
Are there any people that take their Yorkie to a hotter climate in the winter that may have any advice?
mkbartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!