Thread: Jasper, no!
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

You've gotta remember... Shelties are high energy, working, sheep herding dogs. And they're highly intelligent. They're related to the Border Collie family somewhere down the line which is the #1 breed for intelligence. Which can also mean... they know how to push your buttons. It sounds to me like this dog is not getting enough exercise. Shelties can be known for agility, tricks, guarding, obedience, etc, and if that mind of his isn't being stimulated enough, he will cause trouble. I recommend at minimum 1 hour walk a day. Do you have a fenced in yard? If not, he needs somewhere to run a few times a week. I guarantee with an increase in exercise, the barking and the bad behavior will be put to a minimum. As for the potty pads... if he came to you trained outdoors, is there a specific reason you need him to be trained on potty pads? You probably confused him since he was trained NOT to go inside, and now you're telling him it's okay. If I had a dog come to me potty trained outdoors, I'd take high advantage of that. If he's pottying when you're not home, I recommend a crate or an ex-pen. He has way too much freedom right now and not enough boundaries, rules or limitations.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!