View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
sushidoodidoo
YT Addict

Default UTI.....any suggestions?

I was on vacation for 17 days, left the babies with the dogsitter. The last night before I came back, Missy (my 14 yo Shih Tzu) apparently started having problems. she was scratching the door every 5 minutes to go out, and pretty much nothing would come out. And then at some point she would pee a few drops of blood. My dogsitter takes her to emergency immediately. they gave her a shot of antibiotics to make her a bit comfortable during the night until her regular vet sees her the next day.

Anyways, I got home early morning and got the sitter'sa message. I met with her at my vet first thing. My dogsitter is amazing. She stayed there with me for over an hour, waited till we got in so she could explain to the vet what she had exactly seen and what she had been told at the emergency clinic the night before. She even brought Missy's pee sample from that morning.She wanted to make sure she was there to answer any questions that the vet might have.

They kept Missy for a few hours to do some xrays and some urine tests and everything. She also has failing kidneys so they wanted to rule out any connection with the kidneys.

She is diagnosed with UTI and was sent home with 20 days worth of antibiotics, and she will need to be rechecked 7 days after antibiotics run out. I was told to keep her normal food and activity level. Apparently there was a tiny stone in one of the kidneys but they said it had nothing to do with the peeing issue right now, and usually they just monitor the stone that size and there's no need to remove it or do anything about it at this point.

Mind you, my regular vet ws not in that day (yesterday) so I ended up seeing another vet in the same clinic. I don't know her much, and can't tell how much I can trust her diagnosis.

Since yesterday, she seems to be ok in terms of peeing , but she seems very quiet and mellow.

Anything else I should know/do/lookout for? So so worried for my little princess.

Thanks.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!