View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
Nascar Fan

I have had dogs all my life, big and small. Now, I can understand the pee pad when you are at work, and I love the bell idea - I agree - Yorkie's are very smart. But we always taught our dogs when they had an accident that -by our tone of voice - they were bad dogs - and would immediately put them outside. It didn't take long for them to learn to let us know when they needed to go out. With Smokie, when we first got him, I took him out regularly until we got our system down. I would sit outside with him, and when he pee'd, he'd come by me and sit - knowing I had that treat for him. Now, several months later - he will scratch at my arm, or bug my husband and not let up pestering us until he goes outside. When he comes back inside, the first place he goes to is the corner of the bed and stares down that treat bag until he gets his treat. He knows when he has done good, he is rewarded. He also knows if he is bad, he is punished. We love Smokie very much. He was a god send to us. But being a Yorkie is no excuse in our book for putting up with bad behavior. What would you do if it was a big dog? Would you let them get away with "accidents"? That would be quite the mess to clean up. Yorkie's are no different. With patience, understanding, firmness, and rewards for good behavior, they learn. At least Smokie did. Now if we can just teach him to use his "inside voice" when he barks! LOL Reva ~ Smokie's mom
Nascar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!