View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
OnegusMom
Yorkie Talker

Default Potty Training

We got our Onegus, Feb 13, 2 yrs ago at 10 wks old. Since we live in Wisconsin, begining outside training with a 2# puppy was totally out of the question. When we were not playing with him or able to have our eyes on him, he was put into a "puppy pen" with his pee pad, toys etc inside of it, placed where he could see us. (An old baby play pen would also work.) As soon as the weather got warm enough, (April?) we began taking him out as soon as he woke up and every 2 hrs and kept him out until he did his business. When he did it, he got a treat and lots of "good boy" and hand clapping, just like potty training a kid, lol. It didn't take more then a month for him to have the right idea, but we kept the pad down for a couple of months, just in case. He was not allowed free run of the house until we were sure he was house broken. Once they begin going in "wrong" places, they will sneak back to them.
As far as winter goes. Oh Lord, there were times last winter that I would have given anything for him to use a pee pad, lol. Sub zero weather, snow up to my knees, 35mph winds and Onegus insisted on going outside. Not only outside...but to the farthest end of our 3 acres to do his business. Up snowbanks, down snowbanks, even tried under them afew times. The deeper the snow, the better he liked it, just like any little boy. I ended up making him snowsuits with feet in them out of doubled outerwear fleece so he would stay warm. We were ready to go in way before he was most of the time.
The biggest thing is consistancy. It's a big bother to drop everything all day long every 2 hrs, bundle up a wiggly furbie and head out, but in the long run it's worth it. We have always crated him at night and right from the start, he could make it for 4 hrs. Now at almost 2 yrs old, he is good for a solid 8, and has been for over a year.
Some people will tell you Yorkies can't be housebroken. Don't listen to them. 99% can unless they have bladder problems. Set a schedule and stick to it. Baby is only going to do what you teach it. It can't be OK this time and not OK the next.
Good luck.
OnegusMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!