View Single Post
Old 10-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
DebbieD
Senior Yorkie Talker

I believe that my 5 year old Nala started vomiting the same clear liquid as you have described. She did this throughout the night. The following morning still vomiting, she had diarrhea too. We took her to our regular Vet who kept her for a few hours, ran some blood tests and gave her IV fluids. They ruled out Pancreatitis which was what we were immediately concerned about b/c my 8 year old had just had an attack 2 weeks earlier. They believed she was just suffering from a bad intestinal bug and she was sent home with the fluid patch under her skin to prevent dehydration and they told me to give her pedialite and boiled chicken and rice. She has always had a sensitive stomach but something just didn't seem right but we took her home....
When we got home she was still vomiting and now it looked like blood. We could tell that she was getting sicker by the moment. We called the vet and she told us to bring her back but we were also told that if she had to stay we would have to move her that evening to the 24 emergency hospital. So disgusted with the chain of care up to this point we took her directly to the 24 vet. After extensive testing ruling out everything it could possibly be, they believed she was in an Addison's crisis (which we never knew she had). The plan was to treat her as if she had the disease and hope she would respond, apparently the test results take some time to come back. By the next morning it was apparent that she was not going to rebound from this episode and we had to make the decision to end her suffering. In a matter of 26 + hours my poor baby was gone.
I have had yorkies for almost 30 years and had never experienced anything like this. I thought maybe sharing Nala's story may possibly help save someone else.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!