View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfender View Post
Hi and thanks for the responses. Pfender is on an antibiotic (Bayril)(?) and an antacid (Famotidine(?)) and goes back for a follow-up blood test on 10/30. We have kept him on variations of a chicken broth boiled rice, chicken and veggie (carrots or broccoli) diet since Tuesday and he hasn't vomited since. His spirtis seem up again but we are watching him closely.

In the meantime we have been researching pancreatis and proper foods for him. So far, we have looked at Lotus, Great Life Natural, Holistic Select, Solid Gold, Wellness Weight Managment, Innova, and Whole Earth, Honest Kitchen. We don't want to continue with Stella & Chewy's Raw because he got sick about a month after he started on it and I can't get it out of my head that maybe it had something to do with it. Probably doesn't but that is what he kept vomiting on. And I think it is a little higher in fat/protein than the vet says. We would appreciate any feedback on any of the above brands!

Also, I see a lot of foods have flax seed -either oil or ground- but have seen some opinions on YT that this is bad? Is this true?

Also, what about foods that contain salmon oil or salmon? I know these are "good fats" for a human but are they for a Yorkie?

Ellie May- the vet said to try to find food at about 12% fat/25% protein. He agreed with our local Centinela Feed that looking at "Senior Dog" foods is OK since it just means lower fat/lower protein. I dod not know about the triglyceride issue-I will ask the vet.

Marcerella-Good to know that we don't have to go "low carbohydrate" - I don't know what we would have done in that case.

I am looking for veggie treats. I guess his old favorites like Bully sticks, pigs' ears, rawhide, etc. are out because of the high fat content? Also, he loves steamed carrots but now I have read that it is best to give lower glycemic index vegetables-is this true? It is all very confusing about what is good and not good for them.

Also, I learned that the high lipase count means that the pancreas are secreting lipase and for that reason that they have to work harder. And, that giving the supplement helps the pancreas to not have to work as hard? Is that the theory in giving the pup the supplement? (At first I thought it would HURT him becasue he is already high in lipase). What supplement should we look for?

chestermama-Thanks for the tip on Buddy biscuits. We will try those.

One last thing-This York doesn't drink! He drank some gatorade and water when he was vomiting but since then he has drank very little. (He never really has drank much water in my opinion) We put about 2 tbls. of chix broth in his meals to make sure he is getting some fluids but I am concerned he needs more and would prefer he drink water. Is there a way to get a dog to drink water? I would appreciate any tips . . . .

Thanks again everyone!
Layla doesn't drink much either- never has- now that she eats home cooked food- i know that she is at least getting liquid that way!

Also- chattiesmom (here on YT) sells treats called Yorkie Yummies- they come in carrot and banana! They are SO great- no fat at all!!!!

Layla gets this lipase supplement.
Canine and Feline Pancreatitis and Liver Disease

She also get the pro biotic from the same website and I think i am going to start her on BioLiv- which if you read about it- is also for dogs/people with pancreatitis.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!