View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Karrie
Donating YT Addict

If you don't want Monty in bed -and since this is a new home for him - its probably best to restrict his freedom until he learns the rules of the new home - i.e. potty training.

For example - at night, we kept Bailey in the bedroom with us but she didn't roam free in the room. Instead she was placed in a small area with a bed. We were able to put up a baby gate between our bed and dresser which created a small 3 x 4 space. Its better than a crate. An ex-pen is another alternative. (Bailey sleeps with us now, but that is our preference - I realize that its not for everyone).

I do believe that some dogs get in the habit of going out in the middle of the night - sometimes just for attention. So, if you believe that you might be getting abused - then simply say "no". However pick a reasonable time in the morning to let him out and be consistent. We let Bailey out at 5:30 am every morning - weekdays and weekends - its our routine and she can depend on us.

In the day time - he should be restricted to the family room (via baby gates) and supervised until accident free. Expand his freedom as it is earned. If you are unable to supervise during the day (i.e. work, chores, shopping) then put him in an ex-pen or block off a room while unsupervised.

Good luck and welcome to YT!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!