View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this but this seems as good a place as any! My boyfriend is moving in with me next month and we have noticed so many nights Layla just being lonely... we play with her but sometimes she will just go off in the corner and not want to play. I feel like I'm not enough for her I guess! I've always wanted to give her a sibling, but at the same time I am scared that I'm betraying her by looking for another dog. I wish she could speak and tell me what she wants!
My boyfriend just called the condo association, and if we want another dog we will just have to apply for approval. So that's what it has come down to... Deciding if yes we want one, or no we don't. I love dogs so it definitely wouldn't bother me having another around, and i have the money for vet costs, extra food, etc. I found an adorable 7 month old pomeranian/chihuahua mix that is being rehomed, and my boyfriend is wanting us to go see her.
So before we do any of this, I wanted some opinions. For those with two, what are the pros and cons of 2 instead of 1? How did you make the decision to get another dog?

Well we have 3 dogs and one cat. the cat is a neutered male, but our 2 Black Russian Terriers and Razzle our Yorkie are all unneutered. It does make travelling a little different but if you get another small dog you could probably buy a travel crate that 2 can fit in. In terms of getting a dog of the same sex I think that what is important is what is the character of the current dog? How dominant is this dog. How does she play with others -etc?

Now you mentioned her going off into a corner on her own as something that concerns you. Most dogs do need some alone time. But apart from that it sounds like you just recently moved, and are also considering another large adjustment in your life - that of your boyfriend moving in. She maybe is responding to the new place, maybe an increase of time your boyfriend is coming over, etc.

As I write this note Razzle is laying beside me. Magic at my feet - but Zoey is lying down upstairs in the living room. The cat is nesting on his tower. So my experience has b een that the animals take turns on alone time, sometimes everyone is in the garden room, sometimes one, sometimes 2 or three.

Hope this helps

Gail in Ontario
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!