View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
That is pretty high. I wouldn't expect it to be normal when sent to a lab. BTW, the same goes for platelets at some or all hospitals. It is more accurate to do the CBC with an outside lab. It would have been nice had they told you that thte results could be skewed before you put the money into it though. IMO, maybe just have the whole thing sent out next time.

Since she has a history of pancreatitis, I guess another Spec cPL would have to be done if the lipase comes back high again and maybe a diet change? But then she gets almost no fat, right? So it could be that diet change won't work for her (?) or maybe the lipase is up because of something else. Hmmm. Ellie's has been slightly elevated the last two times, but her cPL is normal. We just ignore it. I know a few vets just throw the lipase number out. Not saying it's a good idea, but it can be one of those tricky things to interpret.
Thanks Crystal. Maybe I should have asked for the Spec to be done and just skipped the outside lab? I'm just SO upset- i've been crying since they called.

I don't know how to lower the fat in her diet- it is VERY low- and again- NO SYMPTOMS- she never pukes- eats very very well- playing like a nut- i just don't get it. She is on a lipase supplement and I will ask her nutritionist if she thinks we should up that.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!