View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi and Welcome to YT!!!

1. He tends to pull on the lead every chance he gets.
Hopefully you are using a halter and a 4-6 foot leash. Gather the leash until he can only walk next to you. Sometimes this slows them down, and you will have more control with a shortened hold. Or you can stop until he stops pulling, and only progress forward when he's not pulling. Don't pull against him constantly, do a pull, release, pull, release. Praise him when he does what you want. Or you could turn and go the opposite direction each time he pulls. You may get dizzy, but eventually he'll catch on.

2. I can't put him on the grass since he'll just lay there and eat it.
It won't hurt him as long as you are sure the grass hasn't been treated with anything ie: pesticides or fertilizers. I wouldn't let him eat a lot of it at one time, but a little here and there should be okay. In a few days/weeks he will get used to it and won't want it as much.

3. Anytime someone walks by he'll try to run to them, or gets really wild.
If he's on a shortened leash, you should have more control. If the person is okay with meeting him, walk over to them and let him greet them. He's just trying to make new friends. Eventually he should calm down, because of your encouragement and he'll know that he gets to greet people. Good socializatiion skills are important.

What are some good ways to correct these problems.
Be consistant, and remember he's just a baby, with a whole new world to learn all about. Be patient, praise the good, ignore the bad. He'll catch on.
You can also try adjusting your pace. Sometimes walking faster can help keep their attention. Also, puppy classes are great for teaching them how to be around other people and dogs/puppies. Most importantly though is to praise him when he does good, so he'll know what you expect.

Best Wishes and Good Luck!

Last edited by kjc; 10-21-2009 at 08:59 PM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!