View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferrini View Post
Miracle (the mommy) was rehomed into our home a week before she had her babies. Rebel (our little pudgy baby) weighed 2.25 oz when he was born his sister (who we lost at 6 weeks) weighed 3.50 oz.

The handler's who gave Miracle to me said she was a "toy" (yes, I know) and that she only weighed 5 lbs, she is now weighs almost 8 lbs, I don't think they were really taking care of her that well. They also told me that Sir Wiley- Rebels daddy only weighed 3 lbs, I have since found out from the vet they used to take the yorkies they had too he weighed more than Miracle.

I don't know exactly what he weighed I believe they said over 8lbs. They also told me that Rebel would probably only weight 3 to 4 lbs full grown.

I have not nor did was I going to cut back on his food just wondering if I am doing the right thing and he is not gaining to much weight. When I say "fat" I mean it jokingly, he is adorable and I love him to death. He looks like this little furball walking around and now that he has his sweater on all the fur sticks out the back and it looks like he has a fat bottom. It is very, very cute!

I do trust my vet, he is the best ever but wanted to get other's thoughts.
Sorry to say, so many breeders lie about mommy or daddy's weight, and there are breeders who also think starving mama will produce tinier pups, and it can, but the pups will be unhealthy. I think any breeder that would rehome a pregnant mommy hasn't probably taken the best prenatal care of puppies. Some breeders lie and say an 8-week-old puppy is 12 weeks so that buyers will think they are getting a smaller dog. The Yorkie breed is a toy breed and on that count the breeder wasn't lying, but many yorkies are over the standard of 7 pounds and under, but they are all considered to be toys. I'm glad Miracle has found a safe home now, and I hope Rebel continues to thrive. It's great that you have found a vet you have confidence in, that is so important. Sorry if I sounded rough, we do have members who insist on limiting kibble so their "teacup" won't grow larger.

Join today and remove this ad!