View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucirbc View Post
Last night Coral started what sounded like a reverse sneeze, but it lasted for like 5 minutes for so. It was almost like she had somethimg caught in between her nasal passage and throat. It kinda freaked me out. I put the big dogs outside and blew into her noise/mouth (like cpr kinda) once. It stopped for a minute and then started again. She finally layed down and it stopped after awhile. Has anyone ever had their baby do this before? Any guess as to what it was from????
This article might help a little... So that you understand what a reverse sneeze is

A Yorkshire Terrier (Yorkie) who occasionally makes odd hacking, wheezing and snorting sounds that I was concerned about. This frequently happened after drinking water or when she was particularly excited. Her vet explained that the condition she had was called Reverse Sneezing or Pharyngeal Gag Reflex, and was not really a health problem at all, but a common occurrence in toy breeds dogs.

I did some research on reverse sneezing and learned that in small breed dogs such as mine, the hacking sound that she frequently makes is caused by the dramatic, rapid inhalation and exhalation of air through the nasal passage. This can happen when a dog has a mild irritation in the back of his throat, or when the little dog first goes out into the cold air. Reverse sneezing is usually a harmless event, but many people think the dog is suffering and having a seizure or gasping for air.

Reverse sneezing can happen when the dog is excited or after eating, drinking, running around or while pulling on his leash. He makes a hacking or snorting sound while extending his neck and gasping inwards. During a regular sneeze, air is pushed out through the nose. During reverse sneezing, air is rapidly inhaled in through the nose. During a reverse sneeze, the dog makes rapid and long inspirations and stands still with his elbows spread apart, his head extended, and his eyes may bulge or open wide.

The loud snorting noise is alarming and may sound like something is caught in his throat. The reverse sneeze episode generally lasts for only a minute or two and then the dog appears totally normal again. Gently rubbing the dog's throat to make him swallow helps the spasm stop. Sometimes taking the dog outside for some fresh air will stop the attack. Another way to stop the spasm is to block the nose holes forcing the dog to breathe through his mouth. Reverse sneezing tends to start at an early age and is a persistent problem.

Some dogs have reverse sneezing episodes so frequently that medications may be needed to reduce the number of attacks.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!