View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
I had Marcel neutered at 10 mths old, partly bc I wanted him to weigh as much as possible, partly bc he was still healing from giardia. He was just about 3lbs when neutered, and he did *great*.

Spaying is a more involved surgery, but there are plenty of members here who've had their girls spayed and only weighed 3lbs or less. Maybe your vet is overly cautious (not a bad thing )....but I think it's sort of your call too, if you feel this is the right time for her to be spayed. Is your vet used to spaying smaller dogs?

I'm sure she'll do just great, Mike.
Thanks for the feedback, you guys. Yeah, I've decided to wait. I do need to check on the vet's experience with small dogs. It's a large office, and I seldom get the same vet twice. I don't know any of them well enough to know which I prefer.

I guess I'm just surprised more than anything. Another vet at the office earlier told me 3 pounds was fine for spaying, and even offered to do the surgery a month ago. But who's to argue with caution?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!