View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
AddieandMiaMom
YT Addict

Addie was also very swollen - looked like 2-3 times normal size. Her vet said this is normal and she didn't give me anything to "fix" it. I think that's why Addie acted a little uncomfortable. It was her first (and only) time and she wasn't sure what was going on. The swelling stayed for quite some time and didn't fully go down until after her spay. She went into heat in February 2009 and was spayed in April 2009. The swelling went down by May 2009. She wasn't as swollen after the 21 days of her heat cycle, but it didn't seem to go back to normal until after the spay. I don't know if this is normal or not, when I brought her to the vet in April for her spay, they at first thought she was in heat, but after examining her, determined she wasn't and they were able to go ahead with the spay. Her vet says you can spay while they are in heat, but she prefers not to because it's more complicated and to do it properly she wanted to wait. I had to make three spay appointments for Addie. The first was cancelled because she had a hypoglycemic episode and we wanted to make sure she didn't have a liver shunt (no, thank goodness), the second was cancelled because she went into heat, and the third time was the charm. The spay went okay, but she seemed to be in some pain for the next couple of days even with the pain meds. Her vet said to bring her in if it didn't go away, but by the second day she was okay. I felt so bad, but she was so uncomfortable during her heat cycle that I felt it was better for her.
AddieandMiaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!