Thread: Sad News
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm not knowledgeable about liver shunt; she just assured me that had there been even a small chance of her getting well; she would not have put her down. I knew liver shunt was bad but I didn't know it was a death sentence, I guess.

She then said that the other girl was now mine; I paid a deposit some time ago with the understanding that I had a choice to make.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about not purchasing the sibling - food for thought. They did have different Mother's if that makes any difference. Same father.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. My son is very sad; he had her picture printed out and was all ready for her to come home.

I will need to do some thinking. I know that I do have an opportunity to have the other girl checked by my vet within that first week. I already have her food bowls; crate; toys . . . .

She seems very nice and very sad over this whole thing. I went to her house twice; it is definitely no puppy mill. She has a few yorkies and 2 females that she breeds. They live in her house; not out back in some shed . . . . I'm hoping this is just a very unlucky accident.

I will give her a call and talk with her. I've waited so long for the right yorkie; searched until I found a breeder I liked . . . . well - you know how I feel. I definitely did not rush into this; I waited for one of her pups - months - because she seemed so right.

Thank you for your advice. I will be keeping it in mind.
Liver shunt is usually not a death sentence. The right protocol needs to be followed though and it does get very $$$.

I would not take the sibling either. LS is somewhere in the parents lines and the other pup may be affected. New research coming out (by Dr. Center) says that bile acids testing is not totally accurate until 20 weeks when the liver is fully developed. So even if the pup is bile acids tested, you still don't have a guarantee unless the breeder keeps pup for awhile.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!