View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I've never heard that spaying calms down females, neutering sometimes calms down males because the testicles produce the bulk of testosterone, and as you probably know, testosterone is associated with aggression.

Yorkies seem to bark at bigger dogs, and I guess it's to show them they are not afraid. I use "redirection" with Joey. If we come upon a bigger dog, I just give a quick pull to his harness and redirect his attention, I do this several times, but he wears a harness not a collar so this will cause no injury. Sometimes, we have ended up in the opposite direction, and then I turn him back to the correct direction. I gave him a quick "Uh-uh", when I do this. I also try to keep the walk fairly fast paced so that he feels like this is his job. He has gotten much better using this technique. I'm surprised you haven't seen walking on Cesar's show, it seems like proper walking is a big part of every dog's treatment. Your job, as some have suggested, is to think ahead, and be on the lookout for trouble before it starts, keep your walk very purposeful, even though he's barking.

this is the same advice i would give. it's what Victoria Stillwell does. when they start to tighten up and act like they are going to bark or lunge, say UH OH and turn them away from the other dog. then when they calm down, walk back in the initial direction and try it again. maybe you can have a friend with a larger dog help you practice until yours becomes calm around others.

good luck! i think i'll have this same issue with Sadie because she already as a baby barks at other dogs and people often in our yard or when i'm carrying her around.

it's party that terrier in them, they may be tiny, but they sure think they are big stuff...most books i've read about yorkies talk of the napoleon complex. big dog in a small body...they like to challenge bigger dogs because they inside think they are just as big and mighty...it's funny huh?
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!