View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma View Post
She is going in on the 19th for a spay and teeth extractions. I throughly asked the vet questions. This is what they do and I wanted to run it past you all. I originally wanted to go to a spay clinic, but found they don't do pre-op blood work. They don't have them on monitors, etc
This vet who will do the surgery said they give, darn, can't remember, some kind of iso to put her to sleep. He said it is very safe and they use it on Yorkies. He said they will intubate her and run a IV line in case of any emergency. She will be hooked to monitors. When the spay is over, she will continue on the monitors and IV and is checked every 15 minutes till she is stabile enough to be off monitors. Then she stays a bit longer and then goes home. I have to drop her off at 8 am and if all is ok, I can pick her up about 8 pm. They like to keep them awhile. She is going home with one pain pill and that plastic thing around her neck so she doesn't get at her stitches.
Does this all sound OK or should I have asked more question? Anything else you think she needs? Yikes I'm scared. She's under 5 pounds but strong.
Come on gals, ease my mind. please? lol Probably lots of spelling errors here but nervous even talking about it. She can be a whiner so I'm so scared that she will cry so much when I get her home.
I forgot, they also cut their nails
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellarousasMom View Post
We have an appt. next Tues to get spayed. Not looking forward to it but no matter my dogs, I've never looked forward to it. I've used the same vet for 20 years or so. I am nervous, but I know my yorkie is not the first one and a couple of the employees there also own yorkies and use the same vet. I will also be taking mine around 9 am, and I have the option to pick her up at the end of the day or let her stay the night. I'm still not sure about the overnight. I'm gonna see how I feel and diffently how she feels to decide to stay overnight or not. I feel blessed to have a wonderful vet. Hope things go well for you.
sounds to me like the both of you have wonderful vets to take your little ones to. "Jemma" mommy sounds like the place really looks after their patients and have a lot of staff to have hands on. "Bellarousamom" - how can you go wrong when you know they deal with yorkies! It is always scary to wonder if the vets know how to take care of the little ones. Big dogs are so much more common. The little ones need so much more attention.

Maggie was a bit sore the night of her spay. Her vet didn't think that she would need it but sent them home anyway and I am glad that she did because we wound up giving her a dose. she quieted down after awhile and seemed much more comfortable. I felt so bad for her. She is a whiner anyhow but her little whines were even more intense so I knew it was from pain. .

I wish you two the best of luck with the spays but it sounds to me like you both have wonderful vets to take your little ones to.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!