View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

She's had a big change in her life, and she doesn't know how to deal with it. Yorkies seem to need human contact more than any other dog I've owned. I can't imagine Joey being alone that much. Many people choose a Yorkie because they want a dog that enjoys human companionship. Some Yorkies get use to being left alone for long periods, but it seems like those who have another dog for companionship do best. I don't think punishing for accidents is the way to go. She could be peeing because of the excitement of seeing you, and punishing her will make this worse. I believe in praising the success and ignoring the accidents. I know this is frustrating for you and if you can't find a solution such as day care or another pet, perhaps rehoming is the kindest option.

Try to put yourself in her shoes, you've been home all summer with her and now you are gone for 9 hours a day, and she has no idea why. A couple of other thoughts, her "jail" may seem more like her home, and the carpet could seem more like outside. Also, I was wondering if she's been spayed, and if her hormones are contributing to her problem. I do know that she senses your anxiety and frustration, and this isn't good for her, she is trying to tell you that something's wrong, but I don't think she's trying to punish you. Remember too, they can hold it longer overnight then they can in the daytime. Urine production slows down at night.

Join today and remove this ad!