View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimay View Post
Thank you all for replying. Elizabeth I am sorry for your loss. I have researched liver shunt and even saw a video of a yorkie with symptoms of liver shunt. But Maggie does not rub against a wall. She will just go in the corner and face the wall. She does not have any vomiting or excess thirst or urinary infections. She looks disoriented at times and like I said you can hold her for a few seconds and then something comes over her and she panics. She will never sit and cuddle on the couch with even my mom.
I've had many dogs growing up and we know something is not right but two vets have dismissed it as being a puppy mill dog. She has an adorable face but her back humped a little. My mom has vet appt. next week because she needs tooth pulling again. I am going with her and will discuss all this with the vet and ask him why he thinks it's not liver shunt and ask for liver panel just to ease our minds. Thank you all again and will let you know what he says.
Struggling to escape and backing out of rooms may be unrelated. That may have been caused by the puppy mill trauma. What isn't normal is staring at walls, being disoriented, and having a head twitch.

Some dogs with liver shunt only have one or two symptoms and sometimes none at all.

Has bloodwork ever been done? If all of it looks good, including a bile acids test, the possibility of seeing an internist is still open.

Anyway, this Yorkie shouldn't not have surgery until liver issues are ruled out. Some anesthesias are very hard on liver compromised dogs.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!