View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

try to bell train her for the potty training and she might get the picture. we use a service bell which can be bought at Office Depot or Office Max. take her paw and hit it on the bell to make it ding and take her outside. you must do this after every meal, after every nap (even the really short ones) and after playing or changing activities. eventually she should catch on and be able to tell you that she has to go outside on her own.

for the feeding issue. do not feed from the table or your plate anymore. human food is okay as long as you know what to feed them. i make my own raw diet which is human food, but it's only that, i never feed off my plate or from the table. sometimes if she's been good and never begged for anything (which she doesn't because i never let her have food from the table so she doesn't know what she's missing) i will give a bit as i'm cleaning up, but only if i know what's in it, i never give anything with spices, only something like boiled chicken or rice.

as for not eating unless you are standing right there, Victoria Stillwell just did a case like that called "Prince" so you might want to catch that episode soon, i can't remember what she told them to do, i think it was to use toys that store the food and the dog learned to work for the food to get it out, but i can't remember.

also for the problems with training, i bet if you hold your hand over her for a sit even without a treat she would still follow the hand motions. and why would you not train with treats anyways. i use them all the time. clicker training is the best method though if you cannot produce a treat immediately. i use the word YES as a place marker instead of the actual clicker. YES is what she is working for, YES is the treat and it means to her that in the future a good thing will come along, maybe food, maybe a toy, maybe a treat, but YES is the thing she's after not the food itself.

hope that all helps some...good luck, no offense here, but sounds like you spoiled the dog and have to backtrack which is very hard to do, but don't worry it can be done and if you work hard you'll have her broken of all those habits very soon!!
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!