View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
RemydeHaviland
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Fuzzy toys... mouth itchies?

Can fuzzy / rope toys cause mouth and chin itchies?

Remy has been scratching around his mouth a lot lately. He is starting to make the area red, and there is some hair loss around his nose. Plus, his beard is taking a beating (hair breakage).

I am trying to figure out the problem... and wonder if his toys could be a culprit. He just got a new batch from PetSmart and he plays fetch and tug of war like its his job...

We just got over fleas (thanks to a friend of mine) and he was extremely itchy all over from that. I am finding it hard to distinguish if this is new, or if he is still dealing with flea itchies. He has been flea free for about 4-5 days, but the substantial infestation is more than 2 weeks past. He was on benadryl for a little while during the flea incident, but I've taken him off that so it won't dry his skin too much.

I've been reading about mites, I understand a certain mites can cause hair loss. REALLY hoping that is not the problem. I've been applying fresh aloe around his nose to address the redness, and it seems to help until, of course, he licks it off.

Anyhow, I am wondering if the toys are an issue. I can certainly just take them away but before I torture the little guy (he'll be looking for them forever...) I thought I'd ask if this is a ridiculous assumption.

My other thought is could he have a tooth infection? He is 13 months and has on lower double that I have not had removed. Just have not gotten to it yet...

Any thoughts?

RemydeHaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!