View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlySRN View Post
We just moved and we are making appointments for the pups to be seen this month. I know they are going to have to get a bunch of teeth pulled. Anakin has a bunch of extras on the top and in the back and Bella has two extras in the front and a few in the back. Everyone says to wait until about 9 months old, but I don't know. It just seems like their small mouths can't take it so we will see what the vet says.
My questions:

What type of anesthesia should I make sure they are using?
Also I know blood work should be done before...CBC, full panel, liver enzymes?
Pain medication after...I know a few said that Metacam was choice for smaller dogs, but a few said Tramadol?

The pups are still pretty small. Anakin is 2 pounds 14 ounces and Bella is 3 pounds 6 ounces. My breeder has a good vet that is 2 hours away. But we were thinking of seeing how this vet is first. It is a VCA vet but I heard good things about her. If I don't feel comfortable we are going to be doing it up there.
Anesthesia should be Iso or Sevo. Both used in pediatrics.

My big question is when dealing with dental work, is who performs it, the vet or the vet tech. If it's the vet tech, I insist on the vet. After all, you are paying for the services of the vet, not the tech. If they won't oblige, then I find another vet. I used VCA when I first came back to California....that is until I found out most of their vets are fresh out of vet school and have to pass everything through the director of the particular clinic. It's pretty much a teaching facility.....I didn't feel comfortable with that so, I found another vet.

How old are your pups? I usually like to have puppy teeth pulled as soon as the permanent ones are in. But, then being an exhibitor I don't want to have their bite going off.

A full blood panel should identify if the bile levels are off, if they are, they'll contact you. If they're just pulling puppy teeth, they won't prescribe pain meds, but should prescribe antibiotics; clovomox. They'll give you feeding instructions, usually soft foods.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!