Thread: coins in can??
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup-e-Love View Post
Nancy1999 you are a wealth of knowlege! Thanks for helping me again! Yes, it is definitley a bark. Very ear piercing. Do you think it is okay to use the can on him this early?
Wow, your little boy is very mature, I thought most didn't bark till 5-6 months and later. I see nothing wrong with teaching this from the beginning. The trick is not to get frustrated or angry, if they sense this adrenaline will kick in and they will bark more. There are some people who suggest treating different barks differently. For example, if they bark because they hear something late at night, they suggest picking up the dog, and thanking it and walking around the house to check and see if everything's in order. Dogs were bred to warn people of intruders, and a dog really shouldn't be punished for doing this. I tried it and it does seem to work; now late at night, if he hears something, thunder or the guy next door's trash cans, I can just say, "Thanks, it's ok", and that's enough for him. You feel kind of stupid doing this at first, but I think it's helpful to let them know that sometimes it's ok to bark.

Join today and remove this ad!