View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Okay, gotcha -- then these *are* his 1 Year Puppy Boosters. He will need his rabies booster then (don't get on same day as other shots).

Then, you'd ask for DHP or DHPP - this is the Distemper/Hepatitis/Parvo/Paravinfluenza combo booster. Make sure they don't give Lepto or Corona.

If it were me, I would not get bordatella or giardia either - the bordatella is not needed for Snicks bc of what you say above.
I agree with Ann.

Dogs that are due for their 1 year old vaccines will get them not when they turn 1 year old but 1 year from when the last vaccine was given.

The last distemper vaccine is given usually at 16 weeks. ex: morgan got her 3rd puppy distemper on 8/3/06 which is good for a year. The next year she got her yearly distemper on 8/10/07. In 2008 i gave her 1/2 of the distemper vaccine in the beginning of august. That is the last distemper vaccine i gave her. i'm not giving anymore. Oh, and the distemper combos i gave her were DAPP (distemper, adenvovirus, parvo, and parainfluenza).

When she was a puppy she got her rabies vaccine on 8/22/06. That vaccine was good for a year even tho technically it is the same vaccine that is good for 3 years. Then on 8/22/07 she got her rabies vaccine again which is good for 3 years. so in 2010 she will be due for another one. i'm not sure what i'm going to do about that tho. she does have liver problems so i'll have to talk to her vet about our vaccine plan.

Distemper and Rabies are the only vaccine i would give my dog given the area i live in. You need to check with your vet to see if Lepto is prevalent if your area. Corona should never be given to a small dog. And i don't like the giardia vaccine either. the bordatella vaccine is only necessary if your dog frequents the kennel or day care but even then it doesn't protect them 100% against the virus.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!