View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Robsn0325
Yorkie Talker

Default problems: treats, potty, and whining

My 17-week little guy has minimal, I mean minimal interest in treats. This makes training really hard. We tried the clicker, but he ignores that too. If he isn't calm, he'll ignore toys. He loves attention and lots of rubbing. So we've been praising that way when he does something right, but it's hard to get the right moment, and he'll completely lose focus. Any ideas?

Also, he's doing somewhat decently with puppy pads (most of the time). He'll make more mistakes when he's stressed (we leave for a short time, walk out of the room his playpen is in, etc). So, we're trying to both litter box train him and get him to go outside. The idea is both a convenience to us and to him. How do we get him to use the litter box instead of the puppy pads (or the floor)? When we take him outside, even if we know he has to go, he just doesn't get it. He's just so excited to be out and about that he doesn't even remember he had to go. Even after long periods of time, he doesn't get it, so we'll bring him in. First thing he does, potty on the floor or pad.

Finally, he whines...a lot. I've heard that it's best to keep him where he can see us, but he acts the same when he can and can't see us. We've tried keeping lights on at night, radio/tv on when we're not paying direct attention to him. Nothing helps. We've also tried teaching him to speak, so we could then teach him to hush. As I said before, training him isn't working so well.

He's a sweet little guy, he's just very confused. Help?
Robsn0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!