View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #15
Nascar Fan

We had to take Smokie to the Vet today. He has been itching an scratching horribly. Yesterday I found a couple fleas on him. Its been 2 weeks since his last Frontline treatment. Although the Vet said he preferred the frontline because it helps with ticks and such, since we are in an area where we do not have that issue, he started him on a new medication called Comfortis Tabs. They get one per month orally. Where Frontline will take up to 8 hours to get the fleas off, this gets the fleas off within an hour or two. Also, the vet believes Smokie is allergic to the saliva on the fleas because of the way he has been biting a scratching so bad. He also put him on antibiotics and prednizone to calm the itching and heal the sores from all the biting and scratches. I never knew that a dog could be allergic to the saliva from the fleas, but they can, without the flea even biting them. He had his medicine a couple hours ago, and is now calm and a lot more relaxed. Tomorrow we have to do a major cleaning job. I have chronic back pain, so I am so happy that my husband is a very caring spouse who will run the vacumn. I knew about the salt treatment too, but had forgot, so will salt the carpet in here tonight before going to bed. Smokie stays mostly in the bedroom and kitchen area. Occasionally he is in the living room. Also, the vet said to vacumn daily because the beaters of the vacumn get the fleas in the carpet moving around and cause them to be easier to pick up. He also said it would help to pick up the larva eggs etc. Daily, daily daily. Oh my. And do not forget to throw away the vacumn cleaner bag immediately after running it for the fleas. Or empty and clean out very well the container your vacumn catches the dirt in if you don't use vacumn bags. Hope this info helps. Oh one more thing - our vet - and he is a very good vet - said no flea shampoo. He said if the dog is allergic to the medication in the shampoo they can become very very sick. The best thing to do when you have a flea infestation on your animal is to see the vet. Its well worth what we spent today to see Smokie to calm tonight! He must be feeling so much better! - One more thing - we have a home bs where we sell specialty merchandise - so while we were at the vet I asked him if they would like to look at the pet products we carry and then spoke to the staff to see if they would like me to drop off a catalog. Dr Tim was very interested, but they have a grooming place next door that is a part of their business, so he is going to talk to his partner first, and have him get in touch with me. As for the ladies up front - I'm sure they will order enough to cover today's visit! LOL! So if you have a bs of your own, never miss a chance to talk to someone about it! The very person you are paying for their services may be interested in your product as well! Have a blessed day! Reva - Smokie's Mom ~
Nascar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!