View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
Hi
i was wondering what the signs of dogs going into heat are? Trixie is going to be a year old next month and i am not sure if she is about to go into heat or not if so what can i do to keep the blood off my carpet.
Show a change in mood shortly before her season commences, acting a bit touchy. Doggie PMS? Who can say for sure?
Sometimes, but not always, the breasts will swell slightly. This can also be a sign of a phantom pregnancy, when a female may begin to show signs of being pregnant even if she's not, so watch if this happens, but it usually resolves itself in a few weeks after the cycle ends.
Males are great early warning detectors and can smell the change in a female's hormones before she fully comes into heat.
The vulva can show some swelling, but it is quite variable, some girls hardly swell at all, while others swell up like a golf ball.
Tail flagging is another sign. When a female is ready to be bred, she'll usually stand quite still while the male investigates her vulva, holding her own tail up and wagging it side to side to make sure he gets the scent.
Blood discharge is usually the biggest indicator, with a pinkish red colored discharge the first week, usually turning to a tannish color during the fertile period, and changing back to a reddish color before gradually stopping altogether. Some females keep themselves extremely clean, and it may be difficult to tell if they are in season at all

Are you going to spay her? You can get a belly band to stop the blood from getting everywhere.. They sell them at petsmart

Last edited by lovespandp; 09-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.
lovespandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!