View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
raindrop
Yorkie Talker

Hi,
I couldnt get pee pads to work either, eventually I gave up and just started training her to go outside. I've got a large piece of vinyl tablecloth type material under her playpen so when she does go (usually if i've had to leave her to go out now) then its easy to clear up.

What I did with Sky was create a situation where she has to toilet outside and then praise her for it. I completely ignored it when she went inside.

First I would spend a few days getting her used to outside and a crate so she's not scared of either.
Then I spent a day putting her in the crate or sat on my lap then straight outside and playing with her outside only - her feet never touched the floor in the house! - this meant she had to toilet outside and got treats for it. I spent about a week trying to reinforce this as best I could when I was working part of the day so couldnt crate her (i won't leave her in there longer than an hour).

Then I started with putting her in the playpen for a bit, play supervised in the house, crate then go outside. And I'm gradually increasing the time she is in the house and the playpen and reducing the time in the crate.
raindrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!