View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
JaimieMalone
No Longer a Member

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Welcome to YT! Take heart, your dog still has a month to do before she officially flunks potty school. It can take up to a year to potty train a yorkie, and as cj125 said, in rare cases, it does take longer.

I am curious about the trainer. Did you give her to the trainer to get her potty trained, or were there other behavioral problems as well?

Is she spayed? As another poster said, it's not uncommon for females to mark.

I agree that the moving may have stressed her - Thor is potty trained (pads and outdoors), but he completely loses it when there's a major change in his life (eg, he comes to work with me, and we moved offices; also when I adopted him from his first owners).

Have you tried really committing to watching her with BOTH eyes when she is out of her crate? You need to catch her the second she starts to squat and take her outside.

Have you tried crate training, and gradually increasing the area she is allowed in? Dogs generally won't soil their den, but for a small dog, a house is a huge place. When I was training Thor, I kept him in a crate, then one room, then half the hallway, then all of the hallway, then the bathroom, then part of the dining room, etc. It still took quite a while.

Also, are you cleaning up after her with an enzyme cleaner? If not, she may be smelling places she's already peed, and if she's a marker, she'll have a strong urge to pee there again.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how it's going. If you give more information on techniques you've tried, people may be able to give more specific advice. Good luck.

Oh yes trust me I have tried IT ALLl to the point of carrying her with me to lay on my boys bed while I say their prayers at night. We are hoping that God will help us with her to She cant be given more space b-c she will sometimes even go in the crate. I have had her at the vet and on antibitoics 2x for UTI. The second time I asked for one b-c I was convinced that she still had it however now I don't know? I am going to the vet AGAIN tomorrow and have the run a urinalysis. She just also wants to be with me all of the time. She has never had an accident while on the leash near me...she also doesnt not bark or anything to even try and give me a sign that she needs to go out.
I will not resort to diapers as I think in my opinion as giving up. Plus I have been there and done that with children and refuse to do that for the next 15 years of my life.
I am having a very experience trainer come over this weekend to try and access her and the situation.
Oh and no she did not go to stay with the trainer for 3 weeks for any discipline issues. She is perfect with all of that and they taught her basic commands while she was there...sit, come, walking on the leash and stopping on command. Yes the goal was to house break her which obviously was a real waste of my money. What I didnt realize is that she had her in a crate (which she is very crate trained) and basically kept her on a strict schedule. I have followed her schedule...she actually said I was taking her out to much and she only went potty 3x a day! So I am truly trying and searching for a solution. I know Yorkies are tough to train b-c I have a schnauzer and in my experience as well as everyone I meet terriers are tough with their strong "I'll do what I want". So do you see why I am at a real loss. I have made her my project to say to get her trained as I am usually not a person to cave and give up but this time it may be worth it b-c of all of the stress she is causing. The entire family has had it and are tired of living around letting her out constantly and not ever being able to let her just run around in a room and play without stressing out that we may look away and she will pee. She is in her crate and sometimes more then I want her to be b-c we have a very busy life. My husband's opinion is that our life isn't conducive for this and the stress it causes me is making evreyone miserable....I do truly care about her and dont want to resort to getting rid of her.
JaimieMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!