View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Welcome to YT! Take heart, your dog still has a month to do before she officially flunks potty school. It can take up to a year to potty train a yorkie, and as cj125 said, in rare cases, it does take longer.

I am curious about the trainer. Did you give her to the trainer to get her potty trained, or were there other behavioral problems as well?

Is she spayed? As another poster said, it's not uncommon for females to mark.

I agree that the moving may have stressed her - Thor is potty trained (pads and outdoors), but he completely loses it when there's a major change in his life (eg, he comes to work with me, and we moved offices; also when I adopted him from his first owners).

Have you tried really committing to watching her with BOTH eyes when she is out of her crate? You need to catch her the second she starts to squat and take her outside.

Have you tried crate training, and gradually increasing the area she is allowed in? Dogs generally won't soil their den, but for a small dog, a house is a huge place. When I was training Thor, I kept him in a crate, then one room, then half the hallway, then all of the hallway, then the bathroom, then part of the dining room, etc. It still took quite a while.

Also, are you cleaning up after her with an enzyme cleaner? If not, she may be smelling places she's already peed, and if she's a marker, she'll have a strong urge to pee there again.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how it's going. If you give more information on techniques you've tried, people may be able to give more specific advice. Good luck.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!