View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

So your vet gave Frontline, Capstar and Sentinel all in the same month??...That would be a lot of toxic chemicals in a months time on your pet....The chemicals you put on Dollar don't repel fleas they work by putting toxins in your pets system, then the flea has to bite to be exposed to it, them they die.....

Once the fleas come into the house the adults you see are just part of the problem. You now have eggs, larvae, and pupae stages to get rid of....Most of them are in the egg and larvae stage, probably around 80% of them. . I would not recommend bombs for your home. You will cover every surface in your home with an oily toxic chemical. After all they are made to kill. This would only have an effect on the adults.

The best thing you can do at this point is to get out your trusty Hoover and get busy. This would be the most effective yet safe thing you can do.....It's important to do this daily and make sure you do along the base boards and under furniture, the larvae likes to get to dark places and hide, and everywhere Dollar sleeps. From egg to larvae, to pupae to adult you might be looking at 6 weeks of new fleas hatching, maybe longer. That's why it's important to get sweeping since you have only seen a couple....

Here are two studies on this.....

Sciencedaily .com: Lead study author W. Fred Hink, professor emeritus of entomology at Ohio State and a longtime researcher in nontoxic controls of fleas on dogs, sought to test the effects of vacuuming on all flea life stages and whether any extra disposal steps or additional chemical controls are necessary.

The study involved groups of 100 adult fleas at a time, as well as groups of 50 pupae and 50 larvae, by vacuuming them up from a tightly woven kitchen-type of carpet. Six tests of vacuuming the adult fleas yielded an average of 96 percent of fleas killed; three tests of vacuumed pupae and one test of vacuumed larvae (in their third stage of development) resulted in 100 percent killed.

In comparison, an average of only 5 percent of adult fleas died after being held in paper vacuum bags to test for toxicity, and an average of only 3 percent died when circulated in moving air.

“I did not include eggs in the vacuum study, but I'm sure they would not have survived,” Hink said.

Dutch journal Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata:
The old upright is not only lethal to adult bugs, but it completely wipes out their young. Scientists from Ohio State University had set out to determine what additional measures might be needed to kill a bunch of Hoovered-up fleas: burning, freezing, poisoning, maybe even a little good old fashioned stomping. But it turns out that getting sucked into a vacuum bag does the whole job.
The researchers were so surprised by the results, they repeated the study several times. In each experiment, they sprinkled a kitchen carpet with 100 cat fleas, either adults or juveniles. And they found that the vacuum snuffed out pretty much all of them.

Good luck!....
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!