View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 019 Adding a new Baby Girl - advice needed

Hi,

I'm soon to add a new baby girl to my 'pack' which consists of me, my 14 y/o son, and a 3 year old Westie. My Westie is definitely an alpha dog and I'm worried about how to make sure that we all live in harmony. He does not get along with other male dogs; but small females he likes. I'm not sure, however, that he is going to like one in HIS HOUSE.

I'll bringing her home at 12 weeks - end of October and am so excited. I just am so worried that she and Ringo won't get along.

I've trolled the internet for weeks. I get that I should introduce them on neutral territory and then if things go well . . let them meet again in the back yard.

What happens after that? Do I let them together in the house right away if the outside greets go well? Or keep them separated for a few days? How do I make it clear to Ringo that she is a valued member of the pack and he is not allowed to guard things, etc. Of course, all toys will be picked up and put away along with his food bowls initially. They will be fed in separate rooms. We've been using the NILF rules with Ringo for years; he will rule the house if you let him. We've done agility training; etc., it took a lot of work to 'quasi' establish that we are the ones in charge and that following our rules means that good things happen.

Is he going to adjust to this? Will the new little Yorkie try to dominate him? What do I do if they fight? I want her first days to be good ones and not have Ringo in her face if she wants to play with a toy, etc. I've asked the breeder to watch and try to guide me toward one of her mellower pups if possible. Is there a way for me to tell which dog will be a better match?

I'm so excited yet starting to wonder if I'm up to the task. Ringo is a good boy; loves people and children. Other dogs . . not so much. Again, he has 2-3 females that he will play with BUT . . he's not had many dogs in his house and we're about to have one 24/7.

Thanks for letting me share my fears. Any advice welcome - especially if you've been down this particular road befoe.
Ringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!