View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
I bathe Sydney in the sink. I put a plastic mat down so she doesn't slip. I use the sprayer, but I put the sprayer up against her skin so it doesn't splash her. While she doesn't care for it, she stays put. Talking nicely also helps. Washing her in the sink versus the tub also saves my back from pain. I also have more control over her.
This is how I give bathes as well. I use a hand towel in the bottom of the sink and that works well too.

Here are a few things that I did when mine were getting use to bath time:

Gather all your supplies together, open them so you are not fumbling around.

I use to use an empty shampoo bottle and add a little shampoo and warm water to make the shampoo suds up easier.

Use the sink and sprayer.

Put a hand towel or mat in the bottom on the sick so she doesn't slide around

Keep her harness on so that you are able to keep control of her and ALWAYS keep on hand on her while bathing.

Talk to her in a very calm voice and work continually and with a purpose.

Praise and give treats while bathing.

Start with the face and a washcloth. Wet it and do the face first. Use a tearless shampoo on this area.

You can then use the sprayer against the skin to make her wet starting at the top of the head~keep one hand on her all the time and keep moving

Use the shampoo and water mixture and then rinse close to the body again.

Condition the same way as the shampoo~mixed with a little water and then rinse.

The real trick is to keep one hand on her at all time and just move quickly from step to step, praising and giving treats as you go. Do not yell or get excited no matter how much she tries to fight you. Just stay firm and praise and treat.

Eventually you will not need to use the harness with lots of praise and treats.

After the bath, I usually let mine have the zoomies for about 15 minutes while I set up the top of my dryer for their little grooming session. I take their towel that I used to dry them from their bath, place that down on top of the dryer with all my supplies. Once again using the one hand holding on at all times and working with the other while treat and praise. This works well for me and it also will carry over to the groomers when they go. IMO when you own any dog that needs to be groomed regularly they need to be taught from any early again what behavior is expected during grooming. It has worked very well for me and my groomer loves it when they come because they are very well behaved
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!