View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
henrys mom
Yorkie Talker

Default time and patience

we had a trainer out to help with our yorkie Henry. He barks at EVERYTHING! She told us to show him what ever it is, take him too it, pet it ( the vacuum, the tractor, bike, whatever) just keep telling him that it's ok, and after some time and LOTS of patience, it will work.

Well, of course it sounds crazy, but it works! My husband sat with him for 5 min the other night while I tried to vacuum, my husband would pet the vacuum cleaner, show Henry there was nothing to be afraid of, and then let him go. I could put the vacuum WHEREVER i wanted without Henry going crazy!!! Last night, my husband got out the shop vac and prepared for the worst NOTHING!! Not a peep !!

She told us to take him everywhere and socialize him.

DO NOT PICK HIM UP WHEN HE IS BARKING !!! Wait until he stops before you pick him up.

We got Henry from a rescue, and don't know his history, but it's obvious that he wasn't socailized.

He's doing better. So, you only need two things for training, patience and time!!!

Also, she suggested a dog whistle, when I blow it, he comes right over and gets his favorite treat! It's amazing!!! He's even stopped barking to come and get a treat.

Good Luck, don't throw in the towel, or start construction on a sound proof room, it'll work!!
henrys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!